Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Home and At Home

After two years of departing my long-time home in Africa, Willis and I will be returning. For a short stint, I assure you. We have the gift of returning for 3 months, two of which we will be leading a group of 8 fine individuals from Canada, Germany, and Australia, to and through four wonderful countries: South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Malawi. I've met (mostly through skype) most of them and truly feel like it is a gift and an honour to be comrades with these folk, journeying together through bush and plain, urban and rural, heart ache and joy.

Home is something I've been thinking about lately. For years I have been dancing back and forth between the notion of my home being in Africa or my home being in Canada, but Willis and I feel truly blessed with a calm heart in terms of "home". We feel like we've finally entered into a time where we are no longer wandering. We are making our home in Calgary. God is lining up all kinds of great things: a house, a job I love, schooling Will feels excited about, beautiful community. It's happening. Our African Father, George, visited us one weekend a few months back and shared with us about the Israelites that wandered until finally they entered the promised land and ate fruit from their land. This feels like us right now. No longer are we on manna. We are eating from our land. And this land finally feels like home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Psalm 90:1 God, it seems you’ve been our home forever; long before the mountains were born, long before your brought earth itself to birth, from “once upon a time” to “kingdom come” – you are God.

I'm so happy for you guys! I can't wait to hear all about it xx