Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Save the cheerleader, save the world!

It’s been far too long and I apoligize. It’s not easy to blog. Sometimes I don’t think what I write would be of any interest to anyone. But here’s an update.

Since Zambia I’ve found myself incredibly busy with the office in Bushbuckridge. We did a Pastor’s training, countless workshops, and much planning for 2010. We had a team from the UK for 10 days and it was a very positive experience. Right now I’m hosting a team from First Assembly Church in Calgary and praying it is positive as well. There are two people that began working with our Bushbuckridge team, Pontso from Lesotho and Kennedy from Zambia, and I’ve spent a lot of time helping them to understand Hands, involve them, and training them up to take on some roles of their own. It’s been incredibly exhausting but the fruit will be very impacting and probably really juicy and delicious.

It’s been confirmed! I’m going to Nigeria Nov 24-Dec 8. I’m so so excited! I’ll finally be doing community school work. There are three areas we work in: Lagos, Kano, Ibadan. There are multiple community schools that we’ve started up in each area within the slums. I’ll be assessing the schools and then doing a workshop for the teachers based on what I see. It’s really strange going through teacher training manuals and reading up on assessment & evaluation, teaching methods, learning profiles etc. It’s been a while since I’ve even thought about being a teacher, so this is really exciting. The other day I did a workshop with one of the communities and felt so much like a teacher and was SO excited and realized how much I LOVE teaching. Nigeria will be an interesting place though. Basically it holds ¼ of Africa’s entire population and they really want to be like America, so… it’ll be interesting.

On the note of teaching, I’ve reactivated my subbing contract with Holy Rosary and am already getting booked for dates upon my arrival home. I’m pretty excited about that too.

I organized Canadian Thanksgiving once again this year and it was a HUGE success. There were approximately 50 people there. We even found turkey this year, so that’s a plus. Will and I baked a butt-load of pumpkin pies (made out of carrots). They were delicious but it honestly took us until 10:30 pm, which was unfortunate. I also organized Halloween this year. We didn’t do it last year. We bought lots of candy, made popcorn balls, and rented movies. We rented this one movie called Trick’r’Treat. It was kind of scary, kind of awkward, and kind of a lot of things. But perfect for Halloween, I guess. I dressed as Peter Pan. Classic. But my tights were too itchy so I really only resided in Neverland for 30 minutes. Other people dressed as Simon Peter (not bad), Granny (pretty good), a recreational golfer (laaame Jed), a missionary (bruuuutal Brooke). There were a ton of people. [Insert Canadian sarcasm] Not the best party I’ve ever put together. Need to seriously take this one back to the PPC.

I stayed in BBR all last week and it was great! But I somehow came down with something. I haven’t had a voice since Friday. Greasy.

I LOVE HEROES! I just discovered how awesome the show is. I crushed season 1 and 2 recently. It’s the kind of show that you feel like you’re in and even though you stop watching it, you look around and wonder what kind of powers everyone has and feel like you could just start flying or stopping time.

Speaking of shows, I just finished Season 5 of the Office. Congrats Jim & Pam!!!
On Saturday is Levy and Prag’s wedding. I’m pretty excited. I’m a bridesmaid and if you know anything about African weddings, it’s not an easy task. We’ve been rehearsing for over a month now. You don’t just walk up the aisle, you dance, so we’ve been learning all the steps. We got Zambian outfits made and it’s going to be the party of the year. But Prag is making me grow my nails out, straighten my hair, wax my legs and wear make-up. Barf.

Lastly I’d like to give a shout out to my brother, Rob, for running for mayor of Lloydmonster. I heard you did well and spoke well and I was rooting for you! I’m sorry to hear you didn’t make the cut.

Love and miss you all! Only 6 weeks!
Kristal Dawn

2 comments:

Lacey said...

kristal love the paragraph about the wedding ahahaha
i cant believe its 6 weeks...thats insane.

Louise Buhler said...

Kristal! I can't wait for you to be home! Please keep telling your stories.
xox
I'm praying for Nigeria.