Friday, November 27, 2009

A few things about Nig

-Nig=Nigeria

-On Eid festival they slaughter goats seriouly everywhere

-The traffic is unreal. Basically everyone has right of way no matter where you're coming from or where you're going. You just have to put your hand out to stop the car and point to where you want to go. Our driver tried it while merging onto a road but the car wouldn't give. They exchanged many aggressive words and our driver finished by screaming at him, "It's because you're with another man's wife! It's because you're with another man's wife!"

-I visited two churches today, each of them a kilometer long. YOu can't even believe it. They hold over a million people and Rex says it's full, sometimes over-full.

-They love the prosperity gospel. Basically to be rich is blessed and poverty is from some "ancestral demonic pollution". We are to inherit the riches of this world and so we must eagerly pray for them... this book I have even instructs us to put our right hand on our head and shout, "Let wealth change hands in my life, in the name of Jesus!" or "O Lord, make a hole in the roof for me for my prosperity!" or "In Jesus' name I command wealth to come to me now!" or "In Jesus' name, I command you devil to loose the wealth of this earth!" I'm ashamed that my Jesus is attached to that crap.

-Nigerian dance parties are sweet

-I realized I've been here only a few days and I'm going through major culture shock. I've been in South Africa for a year and have been dreading re-entry into Canada. It's going to be a huge struggle, but little did I know Nigeria would be like entering North America but much worse. Nigeria wants to be like America. Everything I hate about North America, Nigeria has amplified. Eish.

-It's so freaking hot here. I sweat like mad. My skin is always so shiny. I never thought that much water could come out of my pores. I drink so much water, like over 2L a day but pee very little. It all comes out my pores. It's kind of sweet actually. The other day I was laying on my bed and Lize asked if I was crying. I just told her my eyeballs were sweating. Pretty sure they are.

-The communities here all have completely different stories. Yesterday I wrote about Ilaje (the slum on and off water), Ago-Okoto (the community with 419, or fraudsters) and today I visited a community lined with brothels. Most of the children are children of prositutes. It was a very difficult place to be.

-The internet is very fast and accessible (hency all my blogs and facebooking these days) and CNN seems to always be playing. I feel very up-to-date on Obama's appearance at the Copenhagen Conference and the surprise guests breaching White House security at his fancy supper.

-Lynn discovered his favourite church title thus far: "The Everlasting Settled Down Gospel Ministries Incorporated"

-I'm preaching on Sunday. I have no idea what to preach on and am quite nervous. Lynn says all I have to do is shout "Blessings! Power! Breakthrough!" and I'll be okay.

Much love from Nig!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I love you.

Brooke

P.S. My "word verification" word in order to leave a comment is "consdog." That's funny.

Louise Buhler said...

Wow. I know to know how your message was. I'm counting days until you're in my country...even if it takes me forever to see you.
Love you.