Monday, May 2, 2011

Malawi, The Series.

A few things have happened since last time I posted: Celebrations in Zambia, our first Hands wedding (where both parties met through Hands - mine is the second), and Malawi.

I have much to say about 7 days in Malawi but don't want to make you read 100 pages at once so instead I'll write a series of blogs and make you read 100 pages over a period of time. I hope pictures will come at some point.

I arrived on 26 April. It was a fun and interesting journey, mostly because I did it all on my own. Big for me. I left my house in SA at 5 am on Monday, took the Bug to Johannesburg, got on a flight, landed in Lusaka Zambia, stayed the night and caught a bus the next morning. The bus took me to Chipata. I got on a taxi which took me to the border, I crossed, then got on another taxi to Mchiji and then another taxi to Lilongwe where I finally met up with Royie. We then travelled together to his beautiful home deep in the moutnains and maize fields of Mngwere. This place is much more rural than I could have imagined. It is literally winding footpahts through tall grass and maize. Everyone travels by foot or by bike if you are fortunate. Royie and I had to walk 9 km to work each day. One way.

But the thing that burns in my heart the most to share now is Royie's family. I fell in love with them and couldn't part without tears. Every second of every day I was deeply moved by the beauty of their family. Royie stays with his wife, Vailet, and their 7 children, ranging from 3 to 24. The two eldest girls (Chimwewe, 24, and Ireen, 22) are married with children and have their own houses on Royie's plot. In Malawian culture, when a woman marries, the man joins the woman's family. A very matriarchal society. Royie and Vailet have been married 31 years but to watch Vailet giggle as she chats with him you would think it has been 3. She's such a good companion and helper to him. As I approach my wedding, I loved watching her and the way she brings life into the home.

I think my favourite part of staying with the family was sitting in the kitchen (an outdoor room with a dirt floor and a spot to build a fire) with Vailet, Chimwewe, and Ireen. These three beautiful women would be preparing meals for their own family and would do it together with such joy. They would chat and laugh and sing together. They truly loved each other's company. It just made me see the specialness in raising families together and remaining together through all stages of life.

I'll stop here but on the next entry I need to describe their home, where I bathed (loooved it), the simple but tough way in which they live, the things I did and places I saw, how much coffee I drank, bread I ate and how many baths I took.

Before I end, just a huge shout out to Elizabeth. I missed your birthday. I'm sorry. Happy 6th!

Much love.

No comments: