Thursday, April 2, 2009

I'm too excited to sleep

I sit here after two incredible days feeling far too excited to sleep. I spent two days in Bushbuckridge (the area I'm mostly working in) with George, Levy, Vivienne, and Simon. We spent significant time in each area dreaming, praying, planning, walking, and talking.

I can see it. I can look at Cork and see the fields of maize that will feed all the kids. I can see that place healed of old wounds and divisions and finally coming together. I can see the trust regained. I can look at Clare and see the church feeding Lorraine, Clerence and Remember out of its doors, Gogo's working the garden and volunteers looking them in the eye and telling them they matter. I can see it. Seriously, I look over the land, I look at the church and I see it.

I can see Ellery smile again.

This month is what we call RED MONTH. We're pushing hard. We should be bleeding by the end.

I feel very encouraged by the people we have on the ground. Mina is a beautiful woman who deeply cares for her community. She will tear up just talking about it. Her heart goes out to a family: Lorraine, Clerence, and Remember. They are living all alone. Lorraine is the oldest. She's 14. She ensures this family is visited twice a day.

What I've really been feeling lately is that I want to live a life of sacrifice. My mother originally taught me what it means to sacrifice. Through her actions when I was just a babe she taught me that sacrifice is the noblest and most powerful act of love. In this season of my life, this looks like fighting for the millions of young kids (like Victoria and Elizabeth) that have NO parents NO food NO hope and who (like Victoria and Elizabeth) deserve much more. I want to make sure 12 year old girls don't have to sell their bodies to get something to eat. I want to make sure kids have the opportunity to go to school and learn. I want to make sure a family headed by an 11 year old child doesn't feel alone after their parents die. I want to make sure people like Gloria know that their kids will be taken care of when they die. I want to make sure girls like Ellery smile.

No comments: