Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Real Africa


Tuesday, June 11.

The ladies started off the day with prayer. A small group of us women who live at Kachele Village gathered in the middle of the yard, sitting on tree stumps in the sun. We shared our stories to one another and then continued praying for the things on our heart.

Shortly after, we jumped into a tinted-windowed mini-bus and headed to Kitwe to meet up with the Service Centre team. We were warmly welcomed by Blessings, Towela, Mary, Clement, and Esnart. This a power-house of a team. A power-house of the most gentle and sacrificial, yet anointed and authoritative people. They shared about their hearts, about the work in Mulenga, and a particular child in Mulenga that touches each of their hearts.

The mini-bus then took us into Mulenga, a slum-compound on the outskirts of Kitwe. I first visited this community in 2009. A few things are noticed immediately. First, the only road that enters into the community is one that was built by the care workers themselves. Secondly, children are everywhere. The majority of the population is children. Thirdly, drunk men and women wander around everywhere from early morning to late evening. The best part about visiting these communities is not the adorable children we get to play with and hold and love on (although a plus), but seeing anointed men and women of God playing with, loving, and truly delighting in the most vulnerable children in the community. These are children whose parents are drunkards and/or prostitutes and/or deathly sick or children completely without parents.

We then proceeded to Luanshya to sit at the feet of James and Sukai. I continue to use the word 'anointed' because there is no other way to describe all the people around us. When I first met them, I found myself to be in the presence of people that completely exude Christ. I found myself wanting to be with them all the time, to sit and listen to them. Today during tea with them, Lisa leaned over and whispered to me, “I just want to cry this whole time. I feel like I'm with Jesus.” We sat together, hearing the story of how they came to be involved with Hands, how God has touched and changed their lives, and about the Jesus that they know. James, especially, has a crazy testimony of how God viciously chased him down. After James shared a word with us, we prayed and sang together, then came home.

Julia has been really wanting to lead us in communion (something she has never led or been involved in organizing before). When we returned home, we had a beautiful time of breaking bread and praying together. It's been really amazing to see people become inspired to initiate or lead something along the way this trip. I was so proud of Julia tonight.

I lie in bed tonight with a grateful heart, completely filled. I don't deserve to be here, I don't deserve to be with these amazing leaders of Africa, to walk with them, and I don't deserve to be leading an amazing family of random individuals who love God desperately and have hearts so filled with compassion. So all I can do is sit here and be completely grateful, giving God the glory and thanking him for his goodness and choosing me to be a part of it.

-K

No comments: