Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Mess of African Politics.

Here is some interesting reading for those who love the mess of politics.

George just got back from Goma, DRC. Eish, that place is
unbelievable. Not sure if you've been following what's been
happening. They officially declared the war there over and to
celebrate their 50th anniversary of independence they closed down all
the refugee camps. It was so heavy on my heart the whole time he was away. I couldn't stop thinking about it and praying for it. It just feels so big to me.
That place is so broken and so dark.. it just weighs so heavy on me.
Read about it on the Hands website and be sure to click on the link at the bottom of the Hands page to read more about it on New York Times:
http://www.handsatwork.org/newsroom/2010/9/2/in-a-war-ravaged-region-drc.html

South Africa is also a disaster. The whole country has been on strike
for... well since I've been here anyway. Hospitals are calling family
members to tell them to fetch the patients (even ones in critical
condition), students have been out of school (and as a teacher you can
understand my frustration because before World Cup, they went on
strike for a week, and then they were let out for 6 weeks during
World Cup, and now they've been on strike for over a month), and
passionate people who don't want to see their own suffer are being
seriously threatened. ANyway, if you're interested you should read
about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/world/africa/07safrica.html?_r=1

On a different note I forgot to mention in the earlier blog, I went to a real soccer game with Todd and Katie. South Africa vs. Niger. It was fun. The Vuvuzelas were absolutely obnoxious. But I randomly found ear plugs in my bag which was a huge lifesaver. Those things will drive someone mad, literally.

Anyway, read up!

No comments: