Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sawubona

A week in the life of Kristal:

Everyday I wake up around 6 or 6:30 am. And it is always before my alarm goes off. My body just naturally wakes up that early. I love it.

Monday - Prayer meeting at 8:00 am. This consists of singing and praying and singing and some dancing and singing and words from God. Then I might have some meetings, maybe I'll hang out with a student, maybe I'll do some photocopying and school preparations. I'll go home around 5 and enjoy a lovely house supper. Every Monday someone from the farm cooks supper for everyone. There are 12 of us living at the farm. I cooked last week. I cooked roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy and broccoli and cheese sauce and made carrot cake for dessert. It was a bit stressful as we somehow ended up having 18 people for supper. Then on Monday is the day of the week I usually choose to shower, as our cleaning lady Maria is in that day and the shower (shared between 7 people) is at its best! It turns dark around 5 and find myself exhausted and in bed by 9.

Tuesday - I wake up head to women's prayer at 8:00 am. It's in the prayer garden and it is a beautiful time of sharing and praying for one another. After that I head to the community where my classroom is. Class starts at 9. Classes are until 3pm until the After School Program starts. The After School Program is basically a homework/tutor session for orphan students in grades 9-12. They come, receive a meal, have a life skills/ English lesson and then have about an hour or so for homework help. I go home around 4:30.

Wednesday - This morning is supposed to be small group, but for some reason I haven't been to one yet. I think I'll be attending the Masoyi prayer meeting instead. Masoyi is an organization that Hands at Work helped to start. It provides home-based care for people of need in the community. It's focuses are food delivery, orphan care, home visits and care for the sick, young moms program, better choices program, etc. My classroom is on the same property as Masoyi's offices and one of the orphan care centers. It's a happening place and I love every second of being there. After the meeting I have class until 3, then After School until 4:30.

Thursday - No meetings. I go to class at 9 and go home at 4:30.

Friday - No classes. I am usually quite ambitious on this day, as it is the first day of the weekend for me. I either find myself on some sort of mountain climbing adventure, picnic, baking extravaganza, or some equally exciting endeavor. Friday can also be spent planning, grading, and photocopying.

Saturday - Another day of either teacher duties or adventures. Sometimes both.

Sunday - Some form of church. Sometimes I attend really lame banjo-playing churches, sometimes really exciting and overwhelming community church, or just spend some time in fellowship with some incredible people. Today a group of us ladies went on a picnic in a pear orchard just outside a beautiful mining town.


I'd like to spend a bit more time talking about class, the students, the community, and Masoyi Home-Based Care. But alas, I will procrastinate and save it for another day.

Peace out Canadian Scouts.

1 comment:

B said...

I enjoy reading about your life in africa. You are in my prayers. You are loved and missed. I will see you soon!